I've been really excited the past three days just being back at the farm. Drummer even hobbled up to me on his three legs wagging his tail. Last year, he trapped me in the bathroom growling and barking on my first day of work. Maybe he remembers me this year!
It's also really amazing to see all the beautiful kales, chard, cilantro, parsley and spinach that have made it through the winter. The rainbow of colors and the bright green stand out so much against the rest of the barren fields...
But soon, those fields won't look so bare. My arms and my hands and my knees are sore from all the transplanting we've been doing. Farmer Jon says transplanting takes just one second per plant!
I've only been at work for three days, but all these plants have been here much longer. It's led me think a lot more about how much planning goes into a farm. I always knew that in an abstract way, but now I am seeing it happen (and haven't even seen lot of it!). The tomatoes that were seeded on the 17th of March are already the 3rd planting of greenhouse tomatoes. If I remember correctly, we didn't start harvesting those until the middle of June.
Despite my entire body being sore and having cut myself on the third day, I'm really looking forward to this season!
Thursday, April 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

good attitude!
ReplyDelete