Monday, March 29, 2010

Back in Urbana

I’ve just returned to Urbana after being away for 3 months. Nothing much has changed except the basement has turned into a pond. There was a foot of snow on the ground before I left the states, and many dark days ahead...I’m just glad those are gone. While I may have escaped the winter, I’m pretty sure Blue Moon Farmers had to keep working and preparing for the new season.

During my last few days in Thailand, I had the wonderful experience of working on a Thai farm. It seemed to be the perfect transition to get me thinking about farming and to get my body used to hard work again. I never thought I’d be harvesting beans with Vanessa in a different country, but there we were, running into each other just like we were at Blue Moon Farm. Same sun, just on the other side of the world.

Farming in Thailand is a little different than it is in Illinois, but it’s also similar once you get into a rhythm of picking beans. Especially in contrast to Illinois’s rich black soil, the land looks so dry I’m amazed that anything can grow! I guess they also have miracle rains, but I was there in the dry season. Because of the sheer heat (it was 40 celcius some days) – it’s dangerous to work too long without having many breaks. For someone who is new to the climate, it’s even more exhausting, but for someone like Farmer P’phakphum, he doesn’t need any breaks and he doesn’t ever stop moving!! The beans we helped to harvest sell for just 40 Baht per Kilo. That’s just $1.20 for 2.2 lbs. By the time I finished harvesting one kilo of beans, I’m pretty sure I needed to eat that many to replenish the energy I lost.

I’m trying to imagine what it’s like to depend on this for my livelihood, how tiring it must be, but I’ve also never seen anyone with more energy than P’Phakphum and his sisters. Their smiles and hospitality remind me of the farmers in the south of Taiwan. Regardless of the time, everything is put on hold when a visitor comes, and everyone gathers around for bottomless cups of tea. The farmers really believe in the work they do, they are proud and excited to share their stories with you.

Anyway, back in Urbana...I start work tomorrow and it's supposed to be beautiful all week!!

1 comment:

  1. i knew the basement would flood! did your clothes mold?

    ReplyDelete