Tuesday, June 15, 2010

it's hard to blog and farm at the same time!

I recently read this thing about farming: as long as we keep ourselves busy tilling the earth, there is no fear of us becoming wild.

It might be from Derrick Jensen, I cannot remember anymore. I cannot remember the things I did this morning. Either I was not mentally awake yet, or damage has been done by playing too much SET. (Follow link to find many delightful variations of SET - chain set, ultra set, ghost set, super set, set-do-ku, etc...)

When I close my eyes, I see radishes and turnips, rainbow chard colored lettuce and cabbages in various combinations usually between 1-3 of them on 12 phantom cards!! Unfortunately, I can never actually make the vegetables into sets.

Anyway, to farm or be wild? maybe it means, to till or not to till. Is Derrick Jensen telling us to be no-till-farmers?

As for other happenings on the farm, The first tomato harvest of 2010 was last week. June 11 to be exact. They're coming out of the greenhouse. DELICIOUS! The tomatoes, basil, peppers and eggplants out in the field are sizing up. Two plantings down, still one more to go! This week it's been hot and humid with intermittent torrential rains. We've had some marvelous storms and beautiful rainbows...the storms might make planting a bit more difficult but maybe the rainbows are good for the plants! good for the chard? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment